[xml/sgml] Packaging docbook-css

David Holroyd dave at badgers-in-foil.co.uk
Tue Aug 30 21:39:57 UTC 2005

Hi all,

On Tue, Aug 30, 2005 at 11:26:19AM +0000, W. Borgert wrote:
> [David, I put you on CC, because maybe you have a suggestion for
> the Debian package name of your CSS files?]
>
> On Mon, Aug 29, 2005 at 04:03:31PM -0400, Adam Di Carlo wrote:
> > My only issue is with the package name.  'docbook-css' is a rather
> > generic title, and it kinda gives it the air of officialdom, which you
> > might want to think twice about.
[...]
> Either I stay with the upstream name docbook-css, or I add
> the author name to it ("docbook-css-holroyd" or
> "holroyd-docbook-css"), if he doesn't object.  However, I do not
> see the danger of alternative DocBook CSS stylesheets, that are
> really worth separate packaging.

I can't really think of other examples of packages names which include
the upstream author's name, but maybe there are precedents for this?  If
so, I have no objection.

You might also consider using the domain name used to host the project
to 'brand' the package, thus going some way to fulfil the longstanding
need for more packages including 'badger' in their names.

[I have actually considered asking over at docbook-apps if they want to
host these files in the canonical Docbook (CVS) repository, to give them
some air of officialdom.  It just didn't seem all that important
though.]

My preference for a package name would be to keep 'docbook-css', but
then I would say that, wouldn't I ;)

Regarding installation path; if you do go for,

  /usr/share/xml/docbook/stylesheet/<author>

then I'd ask that, given Our Lord Norm gets to have 'nwalsh', that I
should get have 'dholroyd' (i.e. including the initial letter of the
first name in the <author> path component).

Roll-on XML Catalog support in Mozilla!
dave