[xml/sgml] some thoughts, namely about xml catalogs - documentary grammars / "metagrammars"

Mike Hommey mh@glandium.org
Sun, 27 Mar 2005 11:21:19 +0200

On Sat, Mar 26, 2005 at 04:23:34PM -0800, Sean Champ <schamp@commonwerx.org> wrote:
> I'm not "posolutely sure", as to what  support there'd be, in the/an
> XML catalogs standard -- support/allowance for: Documentary
> grammar files, not necessarily DTDs; I've not a great amount of time,
> to make this "a reasearch to-do item", here -- might "get to it",
> ever, later.
>

> One tangential though:
>
> Something like "an XSD/RNC/... catalog ... system"  would require
> support, in the "user/editing agent", for the configuration data and
> the general procedures, designed for  the catalog system;  such could
> be nifty --  "beyond the DTD", something that would allow for the fact
> that an HTTP connection is not always  feasible, from the host where
> an appliation woud be running, and so, not always can {an XML schema
> file, an RNG file, or what-else} be 'checked', for ensuring "validity
> of the document".

The XML/SGML catalog deals with URLs, it doesn't care about what kind of
files are pointed by the URL. Basically, it is about mapping URLs to others.
The typical example is to map DTD URLs to the local file versions,
that's probably why you were thinking that.
It also happens that some XSL packages provide the same thing through
catalogs.

Cheers.

Mike