[xml/sgml] packaging DITA Open Toolkit for Debian

Mark Johnson mrj at ibiblio.org
Wed May 4 07:09:12 UTC 2011

Hi Daniel,

> > I used to be an active debian developer (mrj at debian.org) who mainly
> > packaged many docbook and xml-related resources and xslt processing
> > tools.
>
> Welcome back :) I adopted most of your packages.

Thanks - and nice to meet you. Being the DocBook junkie that I am, I thought
those packages added a lot of value to the Debian. But then I'm a bit
biased. Perhaps we can eventually move to co-maintainership of some of those
packages, to lighten the load. Or you can keep them all to yourself ;)

I pinged Mathieu about this, but you're probably a more appropriate person
for this request: I need someone to "advocate and verify" my application.
All that's required is for you to go to
https://nm.debian.org/nmadvocate.php?email=mrj%40ibiblio.org, enter your
Debian username and submit. At least it'd get the ball rolling. Any help to
expedite the NM process would be greatly appreciated. You'd be doing me a
real solid here.

I do and I remember several requests to package DITA.

<ramble> I'm working on a large documentation -> xml project for one of the
big players in the hardware world, and they're quite big on optimizing their
content for reuse. Although DITA was specfically designed with this goal in
mind, we're largely using DocBook. At any rate, I'm highly motivated to get
a plug-n-play DITA publishing system up and running on my machine, hence the
motivation for packaging. My feeling is that as more large organizations
migrate their user docs to XML, more and more will find that DITA is
uniquely suited for many implementations. </ramble>

> > I wonder if I have to go through the entire re-application process??
>
> AFAIK you have to go through a shortened NM process and there are
> probably some tasks related to your GPG key. But there might be cases,
> where it is necessary to run the whole process again. You should better
> ask the NM board.

I'm sure we can relatively fast-track parts of the process as soon as I hear
from the NM board.

Thanks again, and I look forward to working with you on the packaging,
especially in making the processing toolchain more user-friendly.

Cheers,
Mark

P.S. Is anyone even aware of this document and do they use it? I'd really
like to finish it, esp as regards the caching of network-retrieved xml
resources, but that's a whole 'nother conversation.