[debian-yeeloong-project] Loongson console display text

David Kuehling dvdkhlng at gmx.de
Sat Aug 28 18:15:07 UTC 2010

> On Sun, Aug 29, 2010 at 01:00:13AM +0800, liushiwei wrote:
>> 2010/8/29 Tzafrir Cohen <tzafrir at cohens.org.il>: > Hi,
>> >
>> > Thanks for the quick reply,

[..]

>> > I get the following error, either when I try to build your package
>> or > when I try to apply your second patch:

[..]
>> /tmp/ccBqSRfw.s: Assembler messages: > /tmp/ccBqSRfw.s:4469: Error:
>> illegal operands `xor $f0,$f0,$f0' > /tmp/ccBqSRfw.s:4470: Error:
>> opcode not supported on this processor: > mips1 (mips1) `ldc1
>> $f4,($6)' > /tmp/ccBqSRfw.s:4471:
>>
>> this patch use loongson mmi , so gcc4.4 and -march=loongson2f.
[..]
> Is this patch Loongson-specific?

Looks like the 3rd hunk of the
99_xf86-video-siliconmotion-1.7.3-fix-loongson.diff is the culprit here.
It adds Loongsoon-specific SIMD optimizations to X-video.

I can't find any CPU detection, so the patch makes the siliconmotion
video driver loongson specific.  Whoever did this did not spend any
thoughts about upstream, just tried to somehow make it work for himself.

Looks like it could be safe to remove the simd stuff by omitting hunks 3
and 4 of the patch.

Other parts of the patch change the behaviour of many parts without any
options to select the old behaviour, so I guess this stuff also might
make upstream unhappy.

The comment at the top of the patch says:

  A patch for siliconmotion 1.7.3 is available in the bug trackers
  at freedesktop.org, but a better one will be available monday.
  Still, it lacks the most interresting part : the MMX pack function,
  which should not be implemented there but probably either directly
  in Xv or in pixman (and make Xv use pixman).

However, searching the bugtracker did not turn up anything.

https://bugs.freedesktop.org/buglist.cgi?quicksearch=siliconmotion

Note that I don't own any Longsoon hardware yet.  But I'm considering
it.  Seeing these kind of hacky patches makes me feel a little
uncomfortable currently.  Hopefully things will stabilize in the future.

cheers,

David