[debian-yeeloong-project] Issues on libre Wheezy on Yeeloong, no X, permissions, & wifi

mforestier mforestier at free.fr
Sun Dec 4 15:27:44 UTC 2011

Hi and welcome!

On Sun, 4 Dec 2011 01:54:56 -0500
Advrk Aplmrkt <avkaplmkt at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> First of all, I just want to express my excitement in being part of
> this group. The things people have been doing for making the Lemote
> Yeelong work better is incredible!
>
> After getting lots of hints and tips over the Internet, I am now
> writing to you from a Debian Wheezy system installed on a Lemote
> Yeeloong. I am using the custom "vmlinux-2.6.39.4-libre-lemote" fully
> libre kernel from www.anheng.com.cn!

I've the same kernel, I've tested 3.0 but sometimes hangs without any
comment :-(

> There are, however, a number of issues that I would like to request
> help for:
>
> (1) X does not start with the rebuilt xserver-xorg-video-siliconmotion
> from www.anheng.com.cn. Therefore, I have to use the framebuffer for X
> right now, which makes working in X frustratingly slow. I would like
> to find a xserver-xorg-video-siliconmotion that works!

I've the same problem too (and the same answer ;-)
But the prolem isn't xerver-xorg-video-siliconmotion but xserver-xorg:
v. http://wiki.debian.org/DebianYeeloong/HowTo/Install

> (2) After setting up the task-xfce-desktop package to install the XFCE
> desktop environment, the Restart and Shutdown buttons are greyed out
> in the Log Out dialog.

I use WM ratpoison only without desktop after to have tested it
with lxde.

> (3) External USB storage can't be mounted without root access, and
> can't be accessed without super user permissions. I don't what to add
> a line to fstab everytime I want to plug in a new device. This is too
> inefficient and we are in the 21st century. :) I am looking for a
> solution where I am on the Desktop, plug in a generic USB stick, and
> it will just automount on my computer with full permissions for me to
> read/write to it. In short, I want to setup a solution that "just
> works".

v udev

> (4) The Yeeloong's wifi antenna is always off by default. Once I log
> into the desktop, I need to manually click Fn+F5 to turn on the
> antenna, then use wicd to search for and connect to a network. What do
> I need to change to make the wifi antenna to be always on by default??

install rfkill
v http://dev.lemote.com/code/loongson-community
# echo 1 > /sys/class/rfkill0/rfkill/state

> If anyone could help with any or all of the above that would be
> wonderful!!! I am very eager to setup my system to work efficiently.
>
> Thank you so much, hope to hear from you very soon.

HTH ;-)

--
MForestier.