[debian-yeeloong-project] I'm a yeeloong user.

Stuart Longland stuartl at longlandclan.id.au
Wed Sep 13 02:31:30 UTC 2017

On 13/09/17 12:10, "세벌" wrote:
> Hello, I'm a Korean. I use yeeloong netbook sometimes.
>
> I installed Debian Linux Jessie in the netbook.
>
> It is verrrrry slow :p
>
> Are there yeeloong users now?

For what it's worth the Yeeloong was never a speed demon, and in my
opinion, the choice of graphics chip (Silicon Motion SM712) was a big
backward step from what Lemote used in the Fuloong 2E (ATI Radeon 7000M…
did once get Quake II to work with that… for about 10 seconds before X
crapped itself).

If you can compile stuff for MIPS-III they're not too bad, but
Debian/MIPS prior to Stretch is compiled for MIPS-I.

I used to use one as my primary workstation towards the end of my
university studies.  Still have it actually, the battery is stuffed now,
but it still goes.  I'd like to get a usable web browser going on it so
I can use it for camping trips, but getting Firefox to compile is a pain
and Chromium requires 3GB RAM (!) to compile.

The Yeeloong sadly is a dead platform where Debian is concerned, they've
decided to drop anything older than MIPS64r2/MIPS32r2 which means the
Yeeloong with its Loongson2F (MIPS-III) is pretty much consigned to the
scrap heap.

Gentoo Linux, Linux from Scratch and OpenBSD (which is NOT Linux) are
the only operating systems I know of for this platform that are current,
and of those, I'd say Gentoo is the more practical as you don't have to
do absolutely *everything* yourself (in the case of LFS) and you don't
have to deal with the toolchain idiosyncrasies that OpenBSD suffers from.

If someone knows of another platform, I'm all ears.  Sadly most are
focussing on newer boards that support these more advanced CPU ISAs now.

Regards,
--
Stuart Longland (aka Redhatter, VK4MSL)

I haven't lost my mind...