[Debootloaders-devel] r168 - trunk/emile/debian

Aurélien GÉRÔME ag at roxor.cx
Sat Nov 4 19:44:49 CET 2006

On Sat, Nov 04, 2006 at 11:13:21AM +0100, Wouter Verhelst wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 01, 2006 at 08:48:07PM +0100, Aurélien GÉRÔME wrote:
> > I do not understand. What do mean by that? Do you mean it is not
> > covered by the policy?
>
> Eh, I guess that was a brain fart, sorry :)

No problem. :)

> What I meant to say is: you're misinterpreting the policy there.
> emile-bootblocks does not *require* m68k-linux-gcc to build, it only
> does so if you happen to be building on non-m68k. There are more
> arch:all packages in main that have packages in their build-depends line
> which aren't available on some architectures. This is no different.

I am glad to read that. I was quite upset of not being understood. So
the fact those arch-all packages are not buildable on some
architectures does not contradict the policy? It sounds weird to me,
perhaps I think too much...

> First, it is not true that it must be buildable on *all* architectures
> which Debian supports. Second, even if that were the case, it *is*
> buildable on all such architectures, it's just that non-m68k requires a
> slight bit more work.
>
> Of course, it is true that m68k-linux-gcc is not in main. But that's not
> a problem.

Okay, so it is fine if an arch-all package builds on at least one
architecture. :)

> > Sure, I trust you, but I thought there were plans to do source-only
> > uploads, i.e. without any binary packages arch-any or arch-all.
> > Therefore, the arch-all binary packages would be auto-built on a
> > specific buildd, right?
>
> There have been plans by some people to that effect for quite some time,
> yes; but until these plans become actual, concrete efforts and leave the
> vapourware state they're in right now, I see no reason to start doing a
> whole lot of work just for the sake of it.

Well, you see then that I am quite the kind of guy to oversee those
issues and to start prospective work before they are reached. I think
that it is a good point for me. ;)

Anyway, I am going to rewrite my TODO entry about that from our
discussion...

Cheers,
--
 .''`.   Aurélien GÉRÔME