[Debootloaders-silo] Upgrade script for libata transition

Jurij Smakov jurij at wooyd.org
Fri Jan 8 14:39:12 UTC 2010

On Thu, Jan 07, 2010 at 10:49:56PM +0000, Ben Hutchings wrote:
> On Tue, 2009-12-29 at 12:06 +0000, Ben Hutchings wrote:
> > Linux kernel packages for "squeeze" will use libata-based drivers in
> > preference to old-style IDE drivers.  On some systems this will change
> > the names of PATA devices and will also change the names of SCSI devices
> > already present in those systems if they are enumerated after the PATA
> > devices.
> >
> > On upgrade, we will recommend that users identify hard disk volumes in
> > configuration files by label or UUID (unique identifier) rather than by
> > device name, which will work with both old and new kernel versions.  I
> > think that in most cases it should be possible to update the system
> > configuration automatically, if the user agrees to this.  The following
> > script implements this.  Please review and verify that it does the right
> > thing for your package's configuration file(s).  (I would also welcome a
> > more general review of the code.)
> [...]
>
> I have not yet seen any comments from maintainers of the various boot
> loaders.  It is vital that this upgrade process is reliable and does not
> prevent systems from booting, so please do review the code for your boot
> loader.
>
> If you prefer, I can prepare packages that include this script on
> postinst and upload them to people.debian.org for you or others to test.

I believe you are missing 'silo' invocation as a post-update step for
sparc, it needs to be run after the configuration in /etc/silo.conf is
changed.

I'll be back from vacation next week and can test updated script on
sparc. Having modified packages will definitely help, as then multiple
people can test it - cc'ing your message to debian-sparc, in case
someone else is interested in giving it a go.

Thanks.
Jurij Smakov                                           jurij at wooyd.org
Key: http://www.wooyd.org/pgpkey/                      KeyID: C99E03CC