[Debsplash-devel] user-mode splash ported to C

Luis M Luis M <lemsx1@gmail.com>
Sun, 17 Apr 2005 22:09:03 -0400

Hello all,

This is just to let you be aware that the new user-space-only boot
splash, now called Splashy, has been released for early testers
(a.k.a. alpha testers).

I have built some packages and put them in the usual place. Edit your
sources.list:

deb http://www.kiskeyix.org/downloads/debian local main
deb-src http://www.kiskeyix.org/downloads/debian local main

You can read about the C++ implementation and why the early port to C
from our wiki:
http://wiki.nanofreesoft.org

Essentially we just needed it to be fast and very small. Right now
/sbin/splashy is 12KB !! And that's all you need. Well, you also need
glib-2.0 and libdirectfb-0.9-20 and up, both of which are in Sarge.

There is a project in Alioth which is waiting for some sources to be
posted... We will be doing that in  the next few days. The address is:

http://alioth.debian.org/projects/splashy/

If you need top of the line support before you attempt to build from
source or to ask "why feature foo is not here yet?", please jump in
our IRC channel:

#splashy @ irc.freenode.net

Enjoy!

Note: This software is buggy and it will break your computer. So,
please, if you don't know what you are doing, don't dare installing
this. Especially if you don't know how to start your computer from
other source than your local hard drive. In fact, if this breaks your
system, you get to keep both pieces.

--=20
Luis M
System Administrator
Kiskeyix.org=20

"We think basically you watch television to turn your brain off, and
you work on your computer when you want to turn your brain on" --
Steve Jobs in an interview for MacWorld Magazine 2004-Feb

No .doc: http://www.fsf.org/philosophy/no-word-attachments.es.html