[Debsplash-devel] how to install debsplash guide

Luis M Luis M <lemsx1@gmail.com>
Fri, 7 Jan 2005 10:31:47 -0500

This is wrong, see my comments below...
And the current debsplash-* packages are outdated. I will update them
during the weekend. (or you can recompile from alioth's CVS).

On Mon, 3 Jan 2005 13:18:28 +0100, website <website_debian@tiscali.it> wrote:
> i've done a draft of a guide for install debsplash, please read it and say if
> it is good
>
> ps: the package sysv-rc-debsplash is not ready yet and it is not included in
> the guide.
>
> -----------Begin-------------------
> How to install debsplash on your system.
>
> 1) Go to :
>  http://www.latinomixed.com/downloads/debian-embelisher/deb/
>  or
>  http://81.113.230.186/kalatlug/Projects/debsplash/
>
> 2) Download these files:
>  debsplash-utils_0.1-12_i386.deb
>  kernel-image-2.6.10-fbs-2_1.0_i386.deb

No need for the headers file:

>  kernel-headers-2.6.10-fbs-2_1.0_i386.deb

Themes do the generation of the right files automatically (.cpio.gz files)

>  debsplash-themes_0.1-12_i386.deb
>
> debsplash-utils contains the main package of the project
> kernel-image and kernel-headers are a kernel image and a kernel headers
> compatible with debsplash. To use debsplash you need to have a kernel patched
> with fbsplash patch.
> debsplash-themes contains a set of themes for debsplash they are fully
> compatible with gentoo's gensplash.
>
> 3) install all the files that you have downloadaded.

There is no need to do this step:
> 4) do this command
>  # splash_geninitramfs -v -g /boot/debsplash -r 1024x768
> name_of_the_theme_that_you_want

To configure grub they just have to read the README file in
/usr/share/doc/*package*
> 5) configure your grub/lilo as:
>
> For grub:
>  # cd /boot/grub
>
> Edit menu.lst, find the entry for your kernel, and put
> 'splash=silent,theme:theme_that_you_want'
> onto the kernel command line. You should get something like this:
>
>     title Linux (g-d-s 2.6.8.1)
>         root (hd0,4)
>         kernel /vmlinuz ro root=/dev/hda1
>  splash=silent,theme:emergence
>         initrd /boot/debsplash

Lilo is nice to have in the README file, can you add this?

--
Luis M

"We think basically you watch television to turn your brain off, and
you work on your computer when you want to turn your brain on" --
Steve Jobs in an interview for MacWorld Magazine 2004-Feb

No .doc: http://www.fsf.org/philosophy/no-word-attachments.es.html