[Debtags-devel] where to post future data updates

Enrico Zini zinie@cs.unibo.it
Sat, 14 Aug 2004 01:59:58 +0100

--+QahgC5+KEYLbs62

On Sat, Jul 31, 2004 at 03:02:01PM +0000, Thaddeus H. Black wrote:

> From where shall a user get a data update?

I suggest you ship a base debram.txt file in /usr/share/debram/ together with
the debram package, then you provide some facility for downloading new
versions of the archive and storing them in /var/lib/debram.  The
application could then check if the two files (the one in /usr/share and
the one in /var/lib) are present.  If they are, it should take the newer
one; if only one is present, they should take that.

Since you ship a debram.txt together with your package, a database, even
if old, will always be present, and debram will be guaranteed to work.

I don't think it's a problem to use alioth for downloading this: it's
totally a service for Debian, and that's what Alioth is for.  You could
even setup a subversion post-commit hook like I did with the debtags
webspace (or you could use the debtags webspace altogether), so that
when you commit a change to debram.txt, the web copy gets automatically
updated.

--+QahgC5+KEYLbs62

--+QahgC5+KEYLbs62--