[Debtags-devel] Ideas that came out of an Aglianico bottle last night

Erich Schubert Erich Schubert <erich.schubert@gmail.com>
Sat, 4 Dec 2004 14:43:55 +0100

Hi,

> Think of it more like an interface issue rather than a structural issue.

Nothing is easier than providing a fixed entry page, for example.

> What do you mean by 'selectivity'?

Not providing options which a redundant (i.e. do not or only slightly
narrow down the choice)

> Uhm... yes, that would be useful, and sounds very much like RDF can do
> it easily.  In fact, the whole tags in the 'use::*' facet can be thought
> as these kinds of actions.

Yes, RDF would be a good choice as data model. That was one of the
reasons why I'm thinking about semantic web and such. But this is
mostly about interoperability.

I agree with you (Benjamin, Enrico, Peter, ...) that we should indeed
not try to "blow up" the approach too much.

Still, right now we have already similar information stored in the
"use::*" and "file-format::*" tags. It's just not connected.

I think that using these connections could allow for a better search refine=
ment.
And you do not have to work with these connections, you could just
leave them as is, if you don't have special handling for them. Just
interprete the paranteses as commata. ;-)
Having people enter the detailed data, even when not completely used,
is IMHO better than needing to "retag" everything later on.

What i imagine is a process like the following:
- There are 15000 packages available, how do you want to narrow down
your search: by file format they handle, by their user interface, by
their functionality wrt to the data, ... ?
-> by functionality
- are you looking for applications that can view, convert, edit,
browse, transform, play, ... ?
-> convert
- There are 1000 packages available that can convert. Do you want to
narrow down your search by file format they handle, by their user
interface, by additional functionality, ... ?
-> by file format

Greetings,
Erich Schubert
--
    erich@(mucl.de|debian.org)      --      GPG Key ID: 4B3A135C    (o_
  To understand recursion you first need to understand recursion.   //\