[Debtags-devel] Re: debram: 100 % prelim for sarge

Giacomo A. Catenazzi cate@pixelized.ch
Mon, 26 Jul 2004 23:14:52 +0200

Hello Thaddeus,

I've some comments:
IMHO there is some more months before sarge release.
Today annonce:
"31 July		Hard-freeze of base+standard",
so only base and standard packages are effected.
I think extra packages can be updated also in september.
[But in such case, the code should be already frozen, else
embarassing bug can appear]

How to do handle releases:
I think a good method is to split data, so that
date can be eventually downloaded later (thus with
updated data), but this method should be good tested,
so IMO it is something to do for the sarge+1.
("split data" means, data should be indipendent to
binary release, and data can be downloaded directly
from files (not to require a package update)

Alpha.
I'm a DD, so I have access to alpha machines:
http://db.debian.org/machines.cgi
I think I can manually build and upload alpha.
(I never did before).

To do:
I've sent you a bug correction (patch) to debian/rules,
and I think I should be uploaded. So in next month you should
eventually collect other changes/bug corrections, so that
we can upload it before sarge release. Earlier is better,
so that we can have more public tests.

About the comment about releas intermediate versions:
Really I meant only if you have time and you have some
work already done. A linux developers motto: "Release earlier,
release often" (credit to Linus or ESR, I think)

ciao
	cate