[Debtags-devel] Re: Debtags Library

Erich Schubert erich.schubert@gmail.com
Tue, 27 Jul 2004 23:04:01 +0200

Hi,

> Thinking about it the approach above would lead me to a three level
> hierarchy:

... which then probably is too hard to understand by users.
Keep in mind that we use this information to make a hierarchy. Making
hierarchies out of hierarchies is really hard to understand. ;-)

> Besides: Is there any reason against using implications to create deeper
> hierarchies (i.e. subcategories)?

I think we are going to need them sooner or later.

> > > Thinking more about the data we have and we do work with, maybe we
> > > should go all the way down to RDF.
> > > If we could keep all the stuff so generic it can work with any RDF we
> > > might be able to do a crazy amount of things (like browsing blogs usi=
ng
> > > facets... ;-) )
> Hmm... what the hell is RDF? I think I will have to do some reading.

RDF is a generic data model, basically consisting of triplets.
Triplets in debtags would be
(tag, is_in, facet) and (package, has, tag)
RDF is often taken for a file format, but these file formats are just
serializations of tags. In fact RDF data often is serialized as XML.
RDF is less tree-focused than XML (where you need to use references to
break the strict tree structure)

Gru=DF,
Erich Schubert
--
    erich@(mucl.de|debian.org)      --      GPG Key ID: 4B3A135C    (o_
  To understand recursion you first need to understand recursion.   //\