[Debtags-devel] Any Idea why this fails?

Enrico Zini zinie@cs.unibo.it
Tue, 14 Sep 2004 12:25:32 +0200

--EVF5PPMfhYS0aIcm

On Mon, Sep 13, 2004 at 09:18:10PM +0200, Benjamin Mesing wrote:

> For the failing case I am not completely sure as I work with the QT
> which is multithreaded. But I think it happens from a single thread. The
> request is triggered asynchron (by user interaction) which might come
> from another thread. I do not know above about QT internals and threads
> to be sure of it.
> I would have hoped that the failing only in the latest version would
> have hinted towards the problem.

There is an hint: in the last version iirc I introduced expanding of
tags using the Equivs: fields, and the fault is in that code.  Try
protecting the load with a mutex, to see if it would solve the problem.

> Hmm.. I never cared for such low level stuff as mmap and was scared by
> it from libapt, but I am sure you will provide a nice object oriented
> interface for it :-)

If I get into something like that, the mmapped memory should never get
exported out of the library, as the tag read from mmapped memory would
be used to lookup a Debtags::Tag object, which would be returned
instead.

> But I would really like this as this would also trim down the memory
> usage.

Yes, as well as computation for something like "debtags show <package>",
which shouldn't need to parse the whole thing to get the tags of a
single package.

--EVF5PPMfhYS0aIcm

--EVF5PPMfhYS0aIcm--