[Debtags-devel] libtagcoll updates

Enrico Zini enrico@enricozini.org
Fri, 1 Apr 2005 16:54:48 +0200

--hQiwHBbRI9kgIhsi

On Thu, Mar 31, 2005 at 04:18:58PM +0200, Benjamin Mesing wrote:

> will these changes hit debian testing, meaning will they become part of
> Debian sarge - if so I'd better start coding :-)

In my intention no, they shouldn't hit testing.

> That sounds like a good idea. However it might be useful to offer the
> option to keep stuff in memory. Using the disk version can be dangerous
> when the disk version changes (e.g. by a debtags update performed in the
> background). I ran into this kind of problems when using libapt which
> uses mmap (I mentioned that on the libapt-front-devel ML [1] before).
> This caused serious problems for me as the changes by e.g. "apt-get
> update" resulted in failures in my program. Alernatively there could be
> a mechanism which detects changes of the disk version and reindexes
> things accordingly.

debtags update always writes to a new file, and then renames.  This
means that if you have a file open you keep reading the old version.

Because of this, I don't think the debtags database is going to hit you
with this kind of problem (even the indexed one), as soon as you don't
reopen the file all the time.

It's true however that to read back the results of a debtags update,
at the moment you have to restart your application.

--hQiwHBbRI9kgIhsi

--hQiwHBbRI9kgIhsi--