[Debtags-devel] Re: Approximating sarge's final package list

Steve Langasek vorlon@debian.org
Sun, 3 Apr 2005 23:38:03 -0700

--FkmkrVfFsRoUs1wW

On Sun, Apr 03, 2005 at 05:59:20PM +0000, Thaddeus H. Black wrote:
> Debram (part of Debtags) needs something approximating
> a final sarge package list.  The latest
> /dists/sarge/main/binary-i386/Packages file
> (2 April 2005) is publicly available, and this probably
> suffices, but I have one question for Colin or whoever
> else can briefly answer.

> Question: at the moment, does testing significantly lack
> packages which

>   * were present in testing recently, and
>   * will probably rejoin testing before the release?

> In other words, is the present Packages file materially
> unreliable as an approximate final sarge package list?
> If no, then I would just use the present Packages file.
> If yes, then I have a backup plan.

If the current release plan holds, the final Packages file may vary by a few
dozen packages in or out; I wouldn't expect it to be much more than that.

> If the question seems too subjective, I would say that
> I am not especially worried about some libobscure-
> newthingie-perl which might sneak into testing just
> before the freeze.  My concern is for older, established
> packages which (for reasons I do not understand well)
> happen temporarily to be absent from testing on my
> sample date.  Should I worry about this?  Please advise.

Generally, the packages that get removed due to RC-bugginess are leaf
packages or clusters of niche packages; packages that are of self-evident
importance get fixed rather than removed.  Maybe that answers your question?

--=20
Steve Langasek
postmodern programmer

--FkmkrVfFsRoUs1wW