[Debtags-devel] Updating tags on svn

Justin B Rye jbr at edlug.org.uk
Sat Aug 6 09:50:36 UTC 2005

Enrico Zini wrote:
> Weird thing: someone went on and removed works-with::image:raster from
> pretty much everything.  I have no idea why, maybe it wasn't on purpose
> and there's been a problem somewhere.

Not me, though I had (and fixed) another "-role:sw:utility" glitch.
I expect I've occasionally trimmed generic works-with::image:raster
tags from packages that only handled Jpegs (and already had the
specific works-with::image:raster:jpg tag)... but now that I look up
my archived submissions I see I've mostly been adding it.

>  - Are X terminals: role::sw:application, role::sw:utility or something
>    else?

I've been tagging them utility, but I may be biassed too far in that
direction.  Generally I'm only tagging things as applications if I
can imagine the MS-Windows version coming as a glossily packaged
CD-set, and I can't quite visualise XVT as "New X-DOS-Prompt Pro!"

>  - Are games role::sw:application, or should I create role::sw:game?

Unless there are extra "game-admin" binaries (which deserve a
:utility tag) I've been avoiding tagging them as either, but now you
mention it I think I'd vote for :application.  At least for GUI
ones; I can't picture the packaging for the cowsay CD.

>  - Are shells use::login?

I've changed my mind backwards and forwards on this.  Maybe anything
listed in /etc/shells should get the tag?
--
JBR
Ankh kak! (Ancient Egyptian blessing)