[Debtags-devel] Updating tags on svn

Justin B Rye jbr at edlug.org.uk
Sat Aug 6 17:21:36 UTC 2005

Thaddeus H. Black wrote:
>>>  - Are games role::sw:application, or should I create role::sw:game?
>>
>> Unless there are extra "game-admin" binaries (which deserve a
>> :utility tag) I've been avoiding tagging them as either, but now you
>> mention it I think I'd vote for :application.  At least for GUI
>> ones; I can't picture the packaging for the cowsay CD.
>
> I must be dense today.  I believe that you have a valid point, but
> somehow I am not following it.  Could you elaborate?

I had just mentioned my (extraordinarily approximate) rule of thumb
that if you can't plausibly imagine seeing it on sale in a
shrinkwrapped box, it's a stretch to call it an application.
KoboDeluxe or GLTron I can visualise; cowsay I can't.

I wasn't keen on the idea of role::sw:game, just because I'm wary of
tag-bloat - users can already find the apps that are games by way of
use::gaming and of course the game:: facet.  The existence of man
section 6 is an interesting argument, but then again we aren't
distinguishing the utilities in /usr/share/man/man1 (and /bin) from
the ones in man8 (and /sbin).

(By the way, use::gaming is an unfortunate choice of word - see:
"http://www.m-w.com/cgi-bin/dictionary?va=gaming".  The Description
at least should probably say something like "game-playing".)
--
JBR
Ankh kak! (Ancient Egyptian blessing)