[Debtags-devel] Updating tags on svn

Enrico Zini enrico at enricozini.org
Sat Aug 6 18:13:44 UTC 2005

On Sat, Aug 06, 2005 at 05:54:07PM +0000, Thaddeus H. Black wrote:
> On Sat, Aug 06, 2005 at 06:21:36PM +0100, Justin B Rye wrote:
> > Thaddeus H. Black wrote:
> > I wasn't keen on the idea of role::sw:game, just because I'm wary of
> > tag-bloat - users can already find the apps that are games by way of
> > use::gaming and of course the game:: facet.  The existence of man
> > section 6 is an interesting argument, but then again we aren't
> > distinguishing the utilities in /usr/share/man/man1 (and /bin) from
> > the ones in man8 (and /sbin).
> I'm still shaking off the old debram mindset.  That's what is wrong with
> me.  Go with what Justin says on this, Enrico.  I like his answer better
> than mine.

I was instead considering having role::sw:games, role::sw:window-manager,
role::sw:terminal, because I think that role::sw:utility is still not an
acceptable catch-all for "anything that you wouldn't shrink-wrap".[1]

I mean, I think that games, window-managers and terminals are special
kinds of software no less than 'driver', 'input-method' or 'utility'
are, and I can indeed see a value in providing categories for them.

So, question: if we think that adding them to role::sw is bloating,
where can we put them instead?

> > (By the way, use::gaming is an unfortunate choice of word - see:
> > "http://www.m-w.com/cgi-bin/dictionary?va=gaming".  The Description
> > at least should probably say something like "game-playing".)

Uh, agreed.  How about 'use::entertainment', which then would also
include 'fortune' and 'cowsay'?

[1] [joke] Norton Utilities were shrink-wrapped :)
--
GPG key: 1024D/797EBFAB 2000-12-05 Enrico Zini <enrico at enricozini.org>