[Debtags-devel] debtags newbie question - search packages by a specific tag's value

Enrico Zini enrico at enricozini.org
Sun Aug 7 22:00:49 UTC 2005

On Mon, Aug 08, 2005 at 12:32:30AM +0300, Murat Demirten wrote:

> I'm new to debtags and I want to ask that, is it possible to make a
> search like that,
> what is the programs which operates on imap protocol?
>
> I think command below is a good choice for this, but its implemented for
> different function:
> debtags tagsearch protocol imap
>
> Is there a way to ask this question? I think, it is an important
> question and it must be
> implemented in as short as possible.

Thanks for asking!

with debtags tagsearch you can find what are the tags related to imap:

 $ debtags tagsearch imap
 mail::imap - Mail access via IMAP
 protocol::imap - IMAP

Then, if you want to see what packages apply, you can use 'debtags search':

 $ debtags search 'mail::imap || protocol::imap'
 fetchmailconf - fetchmail configurator
 mozilla-thunderbird-inspector - mozilla thunderbird dom inspector extension
 camas - A versatile WebMail system for the Caudium WebServer
 mozilla-thunderbird-dev - mozilla thunderbird development files
 libmailutils0 - GNU Mail abstraction library
 libcyrus-imap-perl21 - Interface to Cyrus imap client imclient library
 libnet-imap-perl - A client interface to IMAP (Internet Message Access Protocol)
 libmail-cclient-perl - Interface to UW c-client library
 libmail-imapclient-perl - a perl library for manipulating IMAP mail stores
 libimap-admin-perl - Administer IMAP servers
 nail - feature-rich BSD mail(1)
 mailutils - GNU mailutils utilities for handling mail
 mew - mail reader supporting PGP/MIME for Emacs
 ...and so on...

Now it's a question for us how come we have two 'IMAP' tags: the main
reason is that we still haven't reorganized the group of tags called
'protocol'.  In order to have a complete answer, you can ask for package
with one tag or the other (like I did in the previous example).

Does this answer your question?

GPG key: 1024D/797EBFAB 2000-12-05 Enrico Zini <enrico at enricozini.org>