[Debtags-devel] poptags

Gustavo Franco gustavorfranco at gmail.com
Thu Aug 11 18:29:42 UTC 2005

On 8/11/05, Hervé Eychenne <rv at eychenne.org> wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 11, 2005 at 07:53:09AM +0200, Benjamin Mesing wrote:
>
> > let me ask you what exactly you are doing:
>
> > > stratus at deadhorse:~$ ./poptags culture::brazilian
> > Do a debtags search and get the popcon rank of the result packages.
>
> > > stratus at deadhorse:~$ ./poptags debtags
> > Do a apt-cache (or other search). And get the the popcon rank of the
> > result packages.
>
> > Your application sounds useful to me. Crossing search results with some
> > kind of ranking mechanism is always a good idea, and popcon seems to be
> > a good candidate to provide a useful criteria.
>
> > I am highly interested in what you are doing. I'm developing and
> > maintaining the package search (GUI-)application  "packagesearch".
> > Currently I am in the process of implementing a scoring mechanism.
> > Therefore using popcon data is of high interest to me.
>
> Still, let me point the danger of showing people raw data about
> which applications are the most used.
> Look at Windows: the whole world uses it. Does this mean that this is
> a good application? Certainly not. Would they ever consider using
> Linux, based on raw usage ranking? Probably not.

It isn't my intention deny to the users that are interested in a new
way to order his package searches this feature. I haven't asked to be
built-in or default anywhere. It's just a toy that requires
downloading from my people.d.o webpage and a basic knowledge of what
you're doing. IMO, packagesearch package isn't too way from this
concept.

Closing, i agree with you that the most used application isn't always
the best option. If you've a "package karma" system idea or anything
like that it's off topic but i'll be glad to hear. Drop me a message.

Best regards,
Gustavo Franco -- <stratus at debian.org>