[Debtags-devel] Updating tags on svn

Erich Schubert erich.schubert at gmail.com
Tue Aug 16 14:07:24 UTC 2005

> >   role::sw:utility
> >   role::sw:daemon
> >   role::sw:application
> >   role::sw:game
>
> I'd better check first: are these categories additional to sw:client
> and sw:server, or would you drop those?  And how strict is the
> "daemon" category - does it include software designed to run out of
> cronjobs, etc (like amanda or logcheck)?

Yes, being a daemon is in a different facet than the role an
application plays in a network.
For example amanda probably has a client and a server, and both are daemons.
A webbrowser is a client, but no daemon. A webserver is a daemon and a server.
There is a thrid similar tag - no-UIs are typical for daemons. But you
could say that apache has a UI - a web-based user interface... (well,
maybe zope is a better example, since you usually don't change
anything over www on apache)

Yes, I would consider amanda, logcheck, logrotate and such daemons.
Even when they don't run permantent but are invoked by cron. Their
"role" is to be run(ning) in the background without any (local) user
interaction necessary.

best regards,
Erich Schubert
--
    erich@(mucl.de|debian.org)      --      GPG Key ID: 4B3A135C    (o_
  To understand recursion you first need to understand recursion.   //\