[Debtags-devel] Updating tags on svn

Erich Schubert erich.schubert at gmail.com
Tue Aug 23 12:09:28 UTC 2005

Hi,

> >  Trim, generally non-interactive tools which...
>
> does this achieve the style you wanted without evoking unpleasant images
> of knives?  (The word needed is the German "knapp", but there is no such
> English word.)

I wouldn't use "knapp" in german here I guess...

I prefer
"Utilities and small, non-interactive tools"

Utilities and tools normally run non-interactively, which e.g.
 .
  * report the state of the system in some respect (e.g. find);
  * automate a well defined task (e.g. cp or dpkg-reconfigure);
  * filter a stream of text or data (e.g. sed);
  * display data in a simple, non-interactive way (e.g. xloadimage); or
  * fetch and/or put data by a specific protocol (e.g. rsync),
    implement a basic client to such a protocol (e.g ssh), or
    talk to a daemon.
 .
 Also, basic tools which provide generic front ends with bare interfaces
 (e.g. bash, xterm or login); basic, unembellished, scriptable,
 command-line-oriented administration and configuration tools (e.g. dpkg
 or apt-get); minimalistic dockapps (e.g. wmclock) and other simple X
 tools (e.g. 9menu); primitive line-oriented tools (e.g. more or ed)
 controllable by stdin; and other small tools in the utility spirit.
 .
 Most packages will get no more than one of the four tags
 role::sw:{utility,daemon,application,amusement}.

Thaddeus: you use the dictionary too much. Even when there are fancy
words (unembellished), stick to the basics every non-native speaker
understands. Never expect the users to know more words than you do.
;-)

best regards,
Erich Schubert
--
    erich@(mucl.de|debian.org)      --      GPG Key ID: 4B3A135C    (o_
  To understand recursion you first need to understand recursion.   //\