[Debtags-devel] Re: Recent progress

Erich Schubert Erich Schubert <erich.schubert@gmail.com>
Wed, 16 Feb 2005 01:03:54 -0800

Hi,
OpenLDAP for example has less to worry about write locks.
I rewrote my code further, and import into tdb is now complete.
Committed to svn, too.

Total data usage with tdb is 8.8 MB, total import time on my machine
is 15 seconds.
I usually killed the bdb version after 15 minutes...

What apparently sucks with bdb is their locking approach. They call it
2 phase locking; in the first you can only obtain locks, in the second
you can only release them. Bah. So to obtain a lock for the next
dataset i had to reopen the database,
bringing performance completely down.

tdb is nicer here - locks can only be released all at once, but that
is just fine for me.

Greetings,
Erich Schubert
--
    erich@(mucl.de|debian.org)      --      GPG Key ID: 4B3A135C    (o_
  To understand recursion you first need to understand recursion.   //\