[Debtags-devel] Vocabulary and facets

Erich Schubert Erich Schubert <erich.schubert@gmail.com>
Wed, 23 Feb 2005 12:13:42 -0800

I've been going over the vocabulary file.
There are a couple of things I feel uncomfortable with.

First there is "dbtech" containing stuff like ldap or dns.
In my opinion, these are protocols, not database stuff.
maybe protocols for database access, but still protocols.
DNS is usually stored in bind zone files, ldap often in berkeleydb
databases (openldap) but this choice is arbitrary. There are also dns
servers getting their data from ldap etc.

Similarly, the "filetransfer" facets IMHO is bogus and shou=C4=BAd be
replaced by the corresponding protocol tags and maybe some
"use::filetransfer"

"admin" is a part of use, IMHO.

The "hwtech" facet is too specific for my likings. IMHO it should be
more something like "standards support" or so. Similar to protocols
and file formats.
Maybe merge these to some kind of standards tag, maybe grouping them.
Grouping is something we are going to need, anyway - too many file
formats, grouping them into video, audio, text, source, ... makes much
sense to me.

Greetings,
Erich Schubert
--
    erich@(mucl.de|debian.org)      --      GPG Key ID: 4B3A135C    (o_
  To understand recursion you first need to understand recursion.   //\