[Debtags-devel] Proposed Debtags goals for Etch

Enrico Zini enrico at enricozini.org
Sat Jul 16 10:03:09 UTC 2005

Hello,

I've just had a very nice conversation with a couple of people around
the table, and we came out with a list of ? simple Debtags goals for
Etch:

 - now that we have Debtags data in the Packages file, we should find a
   way to keep it updated.  This afternoon I'll talk with aj about it.
   The idea we had at lunch was to have the archive pull the (possibly
   signed) data from some URL.

 - if data goes automatically to the Packages file, we should have a
   stricter control on what goes in.  A simple and good option is to
   have the central database reside on the svn repository, and
   committing manually the patches from the web interface.

With updated data in the Packages file, there is some quick improvement
that can come:

 - update grep-dctrl to filter packages by tag expressions (the
   use::editing && works-with::rasterimage kind)

 - implement simple pre-cooked tag-expression-based package filters into
   aptitude (something like:
     (!(role::aux-data || role::aux-dummy || role::aux-shlib))
   or
     (!culture::* || culture::italian) )

I think that these three aims are perfectly on reach for Etch.  I'm
posting them here for comments before I start enlarging the circle to a
larger audience.

These are the plans for Etch that tickle my mind.  Simple, and on reach.

What do you think?

GPG key: 1024D/797EBFAB 2000-12-05 Enrico Zini <enrico at debian.org>