[Debtags-devel] Debconf5 news: Debtags in the Packages file and Alioth availability

Enrico Zini enrico at enricozini.org
Sun Jul 17 08:33:31 UTC 2005

On Thu, Jul 14, 2005 at 06:01:58PM +0200, Hervé Eychenne wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 14, 2005 at 06:26:31PM +0300, Enrico Zini wrote:

> Packages file was already much too big, which caused huge delays while
> dpkg is processing it, without talking about the bandwidth
> consumption, of course.
> I had to agree... So what makes you think that the situation has changed
> today?

Nothing made me think of it.  But aj asked me, I said: "doesn't that
grow the packages file too much?" and he said "let's see".  So, well, if
aj says so, who am I to say no? :)

> > Then we see.  It might be possible to have them updated once a day.
> Personally, I think this is a bit early...
> Now we'll have to maintain 2 different tags-related databases... the one
> in the Packages, and the other which is... somewhere else (Alioth?).

Not really: the one in the Packages can be automatically updated with
the data from the central one (currently in packages.vitavonni.de,
possibly to be moved to Alioth).

> People might start using the tags data contained in Packages (which is
> a good thing for broader adoption), but this will make syntax changes
> (which will be needed) in the tag field all the more difficult...

I have no plans for syntax changes in any short or medium term, though.

GPG key: 1024D/797EBFAB 2000-12-05 Enrico Zini <enrico at debian.org>