[Debtags-devel] Proposed Debtags goals for Etch

Justin B Rye jbr at edlug.org.uk
Sun Jul 17 13:19:21 UTC 2005

Enrico Zini wrote:
> Justin B Rye wrote:
>> Time for a rush of new wishlist tags, then, right?  I have a stack
>> of them I've been mulling over.
>
> Push them on!

I will.

>   implemented-in and format are merged into made-of, resulting in
>   something like this:
>
>   made-of::lang-ada - Ada

Ah!  Yes, that gets my vote.

(Is there anything made-of::lang-fortran in the archives?)

> Then there can be:
>
>   format also merged into works-with, resulting in a further level of
>   refinement:
>
>   works-with::3d-model - 3D model
>   [...]
>   works-with::video-ogg - Ogg Vorbis Audio

Isn't Ogg Vorbis purely audio?  ::video-ogg would be Ogg Theora.  Or
something... I'm no expert on all this stuff with encapsulations and
codecs; format::ogg and format::vorbis already confuse me.

>   I'm unsure where to place these, though:
>
>   format::rss - RSS Rich Site Summary

Where's the problem?  We don't have any RSS data-packages; they're
all like works-with::mail or ::fax.

>   format::xml - XML

There are packages for working with XML, and there are packages
(largely) made of XML datafiles.  Apps that happen to use XML
config-files probably shouldn't count as either.

Unless the question is about RSS being a kind of XML... obviously,
then, it should be format::regularfile-text-sgml-xml-rss!

>> I don't know if it's happened to anybody else, but two or three
>> times now I've seen debtags-edit suddenly decide it wants to add a
>> huge collection of tags to its patch collection that I never asked
>> for.  I've always managed either to catch them before submission or
>> at least to follow up the garbled version with a manually-composed
>> correction, but I'd hate to think there was a risk they'd go
>> straight into the repositories.
>
> This is strange to me.  Next time it happens, could you please post me
> the patch so that I can have a look at what happens?

It's always been when debtags-edit has been running for a long time
(it also seems to slow down), so these days I always quit, inspect
the patch file and restart before hitting Mail.  The one that got
sent was full of bogus "-role::sw-utility" tags for packages I'd
never heard of.  I can tell you its date header said:
 sent Sat, 02 Jul 2005 23:47:19 +0100
and the followup I sent to fix it was:
 sent Sun, 03 Jul 2005 02:03:35 +0100
But I don't remember the details.