[Debtags-devel] Proposed Debtags goals for Etch

Justin B Rye jbr at edlug.org.uk
Mon Jul 18 17:39:13 UTC 2005

Benjamin Mesing wrote:
> on my search for a zip tool today I stumbled about a missing use tag:
> use::compressing. This would obsolete sound::compression (or if we want
> to keep it sound::compression implies use::compressing). I think this is
> much more expressive than use::storing (the use tag "zip") currently
> has.

sound::compression is almost unused anyway.

Whenever I run into this I first wonder whether it would be
justifiable to stretch ::storing to include pure-compression tools
as well as compressed archives.  But then I notice that ::storing is
already justifiably in use for things as diverse as gringotts,
cdrecord and librrd0.

So I think you're right about the need for a new tag.  Since there
are apps for extracting from nonfree compressed-archive formats,
the tagname (or at least the description) should make it clear that
decompression-only tools get this tag too.
--
JBR
Ankh kak! (Ancient Egyptian blessing)