[Debtags-devel] Proposed Debtags goals for Etch

Enrico Zini enrico at enricozini.org
Sat Jul 23 16:55:55 UTC 2005

On Mon, Jul 18, 2005 at 11:10:45PM +0000, Thaddeus H. Black wrote:

> >   works-with::audio-wav - Wave uncompressed audio format
> >   works-with::bugs - Software bugs or other issues
> Please clarify works-with::bugs.  Does it mean, "understands standard
> DWARF compiled-object-embedded debugging symbols?"  If so, somehow this
> does not feel right.  DWARF is not a mere file format.  It is something
> deeper than this.  It is the proper companion to ELF.

No, it's rather for issues, to be used for bug tracking systems and
other issue trackers.  Maybe 'works-with::issues' would be better?

> >   works-with::dictionary - Dictionary
> Meaning dict files?

And dict servers, and similar applications.

> >   works-with::dtp - Desktop Publishing (DTP)
> Please elaborate.

Software like scribus, that are not made for entering text, but rather
for laying it out in complex layouts.

> >   works-with::file - Any file
> But cat(1) works with any file.  Is this tag needed?

Sure: there are lots of packages that apply.  find, gnome-find and the
like; file managers; diff and patch tools; virus scanners; ftp and other
file transfer utilities...  try running "debtags grep works-with::file"
to have a look.

> >   works-with::font - Fonts
> Subdivide into bitmap (like x11) and vector (like postscript type-1) fonts.

Interesting.  I don't see it very useful for works-with, but rather for
made-of.  Is everyone ok if I add:

Tag: made-of::data-font
Tag: made-of::data-font-bitmap
Tag: made-of::data-font-vector

?

> >   works-with::music-notation - Music notation
> Including MIDI?  MIDI may want its own tag.  Or not.  At your
> discretion.

I imagine that would go together with other sound formats.  How about:

Tag: works-with::audio-mid

?

> >   works-with::people - People
> Hm.  I admit that I do not know what to make of this.

debtags grep works-with::people  is your friend: project management,
genealogy...

> >   works-with::sourcecode - Source code
> Too vague.

We still have the langdevel facet that tells what kind of source code.

> >   works-with::textdocument - Complex text document
> Please elaborate.

The original idea was to use it for more complex text documents which
contain markup, formatting, images and other stuff more than just text.
I'd really like to see that tag going away in favour of the various
text-pdf, text-html, text-postscript, text-sgml, text-tex; however,
there's a lot of applications working with such complex documents and
not using some common file format.

> >   works-with::video-ogg - Ogg Vorbis Audio
> Having manually tagged every package in sarge, I thought that I'd seen
> it all; but I didn't know that there was such a thing as video-ogg.

Sure: ogg is a container for various kinds of streaming media.  The
codec you usually find used for OGG video is called Theora.  You
probably don't know about it because it came out quite recently.

GPG key: 1024D/797EBFAB 2000-12-05 Enrico Zini <enrico at enricozini.org>