[Debtags-devel] Proposed Debtags goals for Etch

Thaddeus H. Black t at b-tk.org
Sat Jul 23 21:43:21 UTC 2005

Enrico:

> Idea!  How about using a single ':' to separate subtags?
>
> Like this:
>
> works-with::audio - Audio
> works-with::audio:mp3 - MP3 Audio
> works-with::audio:oggvorbis - Ogg Vorbis Audio
> works-with::audio:wav - Wave uncompressed audio format
> works-with::music-notation - Music notation
>
> I like it a lot: it preserves the '-', it preserves the facet/tag
> distinction and it doesn't add any more special characters beside what
> is already there.
>
> Deal?  If I don't hear anything until tomorrow, I'll proceed with the
> (gosh, big!) change.

The tag syntax needs room for at least two basic future extensions.

(1) Some future tags will require an arbitrary integer.

    Package: etherfoo
    Tag: importance::to-network-administrators:75

(2) Some future tags will require an arbitrary package name.

    Package: foo2-doc
    Tag: relationship::documents:libfoo2

    Package: libfoo-dev
    Tag: relationship::provides-headers-for:libfoo2

In the vocabulary, such tags would be listed as

    importance::to-network-administrators:N
    relationship::documents:P
    relationship::provides-headers-for:P

In designing the syntax, please plan for such future usage.

--
Thaddeus H. Black
508 Nellie's Cave Road
+1 540 961 0920, t at b-tk.org, thb at debian.org