[Debtags-devel] Other tags for which I have some doubt (was: Proposed Debtags goals for Etch)

Justin B Rye jbr at edlug.org.uk
Sat Jul 23 21:26:34 UTC 2005

Enrico Zini wrote:
>> Tag: field::linguistics
>>  (Or perhaps ::language, but I'm showing my personal bias here.
>>  This covers festival, praat, tipa, translate...  Meanwhile,
>>  field::geology looks to me like a dud.)
>
> I am not very familiar with linguistics and you [Justin] are.
>
> However, I had a search with 'dict' and I got that linguistics is "The
> science of languages, or of the origin, signification, and application
> of words; glossology.".
>
> All the packages you've mentioned are about speech synthesis and
> splitting a phrase down into phonemes, while with field::linguistics I'd
> expect something more like etimologic dictionaries.

Wikipedia on linguistics has a better summary of the subfields.  The
IPA (and thus tipa) is useful for all sorts of things besides
phonemic analysis; elsewhere in my mailbox I'm discussing the
grammar of an obscure Australian language, using phonetic
transcriptions because the language has no standard writing system.

> I'm happy to add the made-of::data-info (maybe people like (or don't
> like) info documentation).

That last paragraph was quite enough of the off-topic stuff, so I'll
keep my opinions to myself for once.

> I'm a bit less sure of made-of::data-man, as
> I don't know of packages that only contain manpages besides
> 'asr-manpages'.

Ah, well, there's, um, "manpages" for a start, and "manpages-de",
"manpages-dev"...

> About the works-with, I'm happy to add both: I've been looking for a
> manpage editor, or an info file converter.
>
> I've thus added these:

Thanks for all these lovely new tags!  Of course, I've got a lot
more work to be getting on with re-tagging things now.
--
JBR
Ankh kak! (Ancient Egyptian blessing)