[Debtags-devel] Proposed Debtags goals for Etch

Erich Schubert erich.schubert at gmail.com
Sun Jul 24 13:47:52 UTC 2005

Hi,

> We are currently separating concepts, such as "colour", from their
> instances, such as "red, blue".  We are categorising stuff that is so

Well, not consequentely. Maybe because you can't really do that.
What is this "audio" thing. Is it a concept (well, audio::mp3,
audio::ogg are instances of the audio concept!) or is it an instance
of the works-with concept?
Thats the real point I'm still picking on: it just doesn't work well
with only 2 levels, where the first has a special role and a special
name...

> The one I had before (lots of atomic facets with a flat omogeneous set
> of tags), where you could reach any needed level of hierarchisation
> withouth the need of creating the hierarchies in advance.

At the cost of increasing the number of facets a lot, making them even
harder to cleanly separate.

> The one you have, where you define many nested sets, and where
> hierarchisation is indeed useful.

> The one we are currently using, where it is indeed useful to group tags
> inside facets.

Which isn't vey different from the real "hierarchic tags" approach,
except that you don't admit it. ;-)

I do not find it easy to understand why we don't have a real hierarchy
in the tags. Everything in computers has hierarchies, starting with
the file system...

> > I also liked the "old" approach of putting certain constraints upon
> > the branching of the UI very much. This was somehow lost now, with all
> > the facet-tag things.
>
> You mean implications?  You can still get them by encoding them in
> autodebtag.

No, I'm talking about the UI. About not offering too many choices to
the user in the UI.

That is my really big concern without a real hierarchy:
We already have 51 tags in works-with. Thats too much. Even with
grouping. Next thing we are going to need another level of grouping,
and then we *really* do have hierarchies.

best regards,
Erich Schubert
--
    erich@(mucl.de|debian.org)      --      GPG Key ID: 4B3A135C    (o_
  To understand recursion you first need to understand recursion.   //\