[Debtags-devel] Proposed Debtags goals for Etch

Benjamin Mesing bensmail at gmx.net
Mon Jul 25 10:59:21 UTC 2005

Hello,

to join your endless discussion:

I have decided to consider facets to be something that by itself is of
no use as a search criterion, in opposite to the tags. Say e.g.
works-with:: - it is pobably useless to select all packages which works
with something, but work-with::sound is a usefull search, even if there
are further refinements like works-with::sound-mp3.
I have also considered the idea, that the facets do always need an
additional noun, while the noun needs to be attached as a tag (say
work-with <noun> -> works-with::sound). However this fails for some
facets.

My approach works well for a lot of facets: culture, implemented-in,
works-with, use, uitoolkit, suite...
However it fails for some other facets like: sound (a search for
something related to sound provides a use for itself), security, mail,
web,...
Most of these are in my opinion subtags of use or works-with which are
so broad and common enough to display them at the topmost level. For
those I fall back to my second definition of facets to be the root
elements of an arbitary hierarchy :-)

> > I realised it since quite a while.  Now, could you please let me know
> > that you at least understand it?  What I really care is not that we all
>
> What do you want me to understand?
> I understand that you don't like more than two-level nested hierarchies.
Thats unfair, the hyphen notation (now ':') actually introduces deeper
hierarchies.

Greetings Ben