[Debtags-devel] "license" facet?

Mike Paul mike@wyzardry.net
Thu, 02 Jun 2005 20:49:26 -0400

--=-rKfq3dia32nYNxoLB8Ih

While reading Bug #144046 (linked from that debtags overview paper), I
noticed that Erich gave an example at one point:

        > >  - ultimate fine-grainedness (?)
        indeed. like selecting gpl licenced apps only, gtk apps only etc.

We have uitoolkit::gtk for the latter case, but what about selecting
based on license?  That seems like a good idea.  Maybe license::gpl,
license::bsd, etc.  We can create tags for all the well-known licenses,
and software using an unusual license would be tagged as "other", or
maybe just not tagged at all.

The only mention I see of this in the list archives is some talk about a
"freeness" facet, which was dismissed as a bad idea (and I agree)
because it implies an ordering among tags in the facet.  "license"
implies no such ordering, though.

Being new here, though, I hope I'm not implying a big new burden of work
by suggesting another facet.  :-)
--=20
Mike Paul <mike@wyzardry.net>

--=-rKfq3dia32nYNxoLB8Ih