[Debtags-devel] Committed a new-concept browser

Enrico Zini enrico@enricozini.org
Mon, 27 Jun 2005 04:30:52 +0200

--LQksG6bCIzRHxTLp

Hello,

During LinuxTag I had a very nice chat with Jan M=C3=BChlig from
http://www.openusability.org/ (whom I included in Cc and warmly salute)
and we discussed possible interfaces implementable on top of Debtags.

The ideas that Jan contributed were that:

 - it is good to start with a full-text search: people are used to
   Google anyway
 - after a first full-text search, tags can be used to further refine
   the results, to exclude some areas or widen the results in some area

I've just quickly pulled together and committed a new python example
script in libdebtags1 that does just that: you start with a full-text
'apt-cache search' query and then refine.  So far the results are not
exciting, but I have the impression that that's because of current
shortcomings of our vocabulary and tagging.

More to be seen on this area.  The script is in
svn://svn.debian.org/debtags/libdebtags1/trunk/swig/python/browser.py
and is also a nice example of using Debtags from Python.

For Jan: I hope you had a nice trip back from LinuxTag, and you can find
everything about the project here in this list and at
http://debtags.alioth.debian.org .  Do you think I should register it on
OpenUsability?

GPG key: 1024D/797EBFAB 2000-12-05 Enrico Zini <enrico@enricozini.org>

--LQksG6bCIzRHxTLp