[Debtags-devel] some more information on tasks

Benjamin Mesing bensmail@gmx.net
Tue, 01 Mar 2005 20:43:38 +0100

Did a quick google research on task, here is some information that might
be handy.
-----
http://www.debian.org/doc/debian-policy/ch-binary.html
3.9 Tasks

The Debian install process allows the user to choose from a number of
common tasks which a Debian system can be used to perform. Selecting a
task with tasksel causes a set of packages that are useful in performing
that task to be installed.

This set of packages is all available packages which have the name of
the selected task in the Task field of their control file. The format of
this field is a list of tasks, separated by commas.

You should not tag any packages as belonging to a task before this has
been discussed on the debian-devel mailing list and a consensus about
doing that has been reached.

For third parties (and historical reasons), tasksel also supports
constructing tasks based on task packages. These are packages whose
names begin with task-. Task packages should not be included in the
Debian archive.

------
And here is a vote for the tasks
http://www.debianplanet.org/node.php?id=732
btw. the first poster (lovelace) seems to use them for exactly the same
debtags should be used for.
I would have voted "Tasks?" even though I might have used tasksel during
installation.

Greetings Ben