[Debtags-devel] libtagcoll updates

Benjamin Mesing bensmail@gmx.net
Thu, 31 Mar 2005 16:18:58 +0200

Hello,

will these changes hit debian testing, meaning will they become part of
Debian sarge - if so I'd better start coding :-)

> At the end of this I intend to have an efficient, indexed, on-disk tag
> database, so that applications that want to fiddle with tags do not need
> to keep everything in memory.
That sounds like a good idea. However it might be useful to offer the
option to keep stuff in memory. Using the disk version can be dangerous
when the disk version changes (e.g. by a debtags update performed in the
background). I ran into this kind of problems when using libapt which
uses mmap (I mentioned that on the libapt-front-devel ML [1] before).
This caused serious problems for me as the changes by e.g. "apt-get
update" resulted in failures in my program. Alernatively there could be
a mechanism which detects changes of the disk version and reindexes
things accordingly.

Greetings Ben

[1] http://lists.alioth.debian.org/pipermail/libapt-front-devel/2005-February/000136.html