[Debtags-devel] Some p2p protocols for filetransfer::

Erich Schubert erich.schubert at gmail.com
Sun Nov 6 12:51:27 UTC 2005

Hi,
> Well, I don't think that p2p is enough descriptive, we have a wide range
> of p2p software, some multi protocol, some supporting only one protocol.
> More than 50% of the trafic this days is p2p.

I wouldn't just count the data volume, thats too biased. If we do some
numerical comparison, we should look at the number of packages for it.

P2P is one of the least precise terms we have. Basically, you could
say that FXP is p2p ftp. Whereas e.g. the communication to the tracker
of a bittorrent is a client-server protocol, only the actual data is
transferred p2p.
One of the biggest applications of p2p nowadays is SIP and such video
telephony applications, btw.

So I'm opposed to a pure p2p tag; a filetransfer::p2p tag would be
okay IMHO if you want to avoid making tags for all the (often
obsolete) p2p filesharing protocols out there.
But maybe a "filesharing" tag would be more appropriate.

I'd go with protocol::filesharing:edonkey,
protocol::filetransfer:bittorrent etc.

best regards,
Erich Schubert
--
    erich@(mucl.de|debian.org)      --      GPG Key ID: 4B3A135C    (o_
  To understand recursion you first need to understand recursion.   //\