[Debtags-devel] debtags swallowing tag?

Torsten Marek shlomme at gmx.net
Thu Nov 10 20:29:21 UTC 2005

Enrico Zini schrieb:
> On Thu, Nov 10, 2005 at 01:58:34PM +0100, Torsten Marek wrote:
>

>>Everything is all right so far, and /var/lib/debtags/vocabulary is correct. But
>>now, "debtags" (the binary) does not know "langdevel::c" anymore, although it is
>>in the vocabulary.
>>It does not show up with "debtags tagcat", nor with "debtags cat" or "debtags
>>show <package-tagged-with-langdevel::c>". Therefore, langdevel::c is not changed
>>into devel::lang:c (which is visible).
>>(BTW: the langdevel::c tags are in /var/lib/debtags/package-tags and the indices !)
>

> Doh!  I can reproduce it here as well.  It's superweird.
>

>>I did not have time to debug code yet, but then again were should I start?
>

> Let's see if other tags disappeared:
>
>   $ debtags tagcat | grep '^Tag\|^Facet'|sort > /tmp/z
>
> (doh! another bug: facets are printed as 'Tag:'.  Fixed in svn, in the
>  meantime I'll work around it:)
>
>   $ cat /var/lib/debtags/vocabulary | grep '^Tag\|^Facet'| sed 's/Facet:/Tag:/' | sort > /tmp/z1
>   $ diff /tmp/z /tmp/z1
>   205a206
>   > Tag: langdevel::c
>   219a221
>   > Tag: langdevel::r
>
> Two tags disappeared, both have names of one letter only...
>
>   $ grep '::.$' /var/lib/debtags/vocabulary
>   Tag: langdevel::c
>   Tag: langdevel::r
>   Tag: special::not-yet-tagged::a
>   Tag: special::not-yet-tagged::z
>
> ...and they are the only tags with names of one letter only!  (the
> special tags are named "not-yet-tagged::a", not "a")
>
> The index contains the tags:
>
>   $ strings /var/lib/debtags/vocabulary.idx |grep langdevel::[cr]
>   &Tlangdevel::c
>   &Tlangdevel::c++
>   &Tlangdevel::r
>   &Tlangdevel::ruby
>
> So I suspect that cache/component/tags.{h,cpp} or
> cache/entity/tag.{h,cpp} could be at fault, since libtagcoll, that
> merged the vocabulary and created the index, handled the tag just fine.
> Also, the code there is quite fresh, relatively less tested and maybe in
> need of refactoring.
>
> I'd add some test cases to catch this to that code in libapt-front, and
> proceed from there.
>
> I have to leave now.  If you want to give it a try keep us posted, else
> I'll pick it up tomorrow.

Hi,

my "spidey sense" suggested that it might have to do something with the
one-letter-tag, but I'm not going to investigate it today. I got an unexpected
invitation to a dinner with my professor and some university stuff and so I came
back home later than expected. Maybe I have time to look into it tomorrow, but
I'm not entirely sure.

greetings

Torsten

- --
Torsten Marek <shlomme at gmx.net>
ID: A244C858 -- FP: 1902 0002 5DFC 856B F146  894C 7CC5 451E A244 C858
Keyserver: subkeys.pgp.net