[Debtags-devel] Good short descriptions: the protocols

Benjamin Mesing bensmail at gmx.net
Sat Nov 12 17:23:45 UTC 2005

Hello

> Since the short description is used as the name of the tag in applications, a
> bit of unification would do good here.
Agreed!

> 1. add the acronym as the short description. All acronyms are well-known, maybe
> even better than the long versions.
> This is not possible in all cases, for instance for the im protocols. In this
> case, just write "XYZ instant messaging" ("instant messaging" looks weird, but
> it's a proper enough term to have it's wikipedia entry).
> Other cases might arise, but they have to be solved on one-to-one basis.
> 2. Add the acronym expension to the long description (maybe followed by the
> acronym in parentheses), together with a small synopsis what this protocol
> actually does; or just describe the in some sentences and mention the expansion
> once.
I would go with including the acronym expansion in the short

        Tag: protocol::http
         Stateless protocol for data transfer between HTTP servers (like Apache) and
         clients (such as web browser) in the WWW.
or
        Tag: protocol::http
         Stateless protocol for data transfer between HTTP servers (like Apache) and
         clients (such as web browser) in the WWW.
Note that it is _Transfer_ not _Transport_ (from what I know and from
what wikipedia tells). Btw wouldn't it be nice to replace WWW with world
wide web - or even better "internet" (everyone who needs HTTP to have
explained might not know the acronym WWW)?

Best regards

Ben