[Debtags-devel] Good short descriptions: the protocols

Justin B Rye jbr at edlug.org.uk
Sat Nov 12 18:43:17 UTC 2005

Benjamin Mesing wrote:
> Note that it is _Transfer_ not _Transport_ (from what I know and from
> what wikipedia tells). Btw wouldn't it be nice to replace WWW with world
> wide web - or even better "internet" (everyone who needs HTTP to have
> explained might not know the acronym WWW)?

Watch out - they aren't synonyms.  Strictly speaking, the Internet
is considerably older and more inclusive than (Sir TBL's) "World
Wide Web"!  Usenet news groups, for instance, have never been part
of the WWW, but they're certainly part of the Net.

If a non-technical term is needed, what's wrong with "web"?
--
JBR
Ankh kak! (Ancient Egyptian blessing)