[Debtags-devel] Good short descriptions: the protocols

Justin B Rye jbr at edlug.org.uk
Sun Nov 13 12:36:06 UTC 2005

>> Strictly speaking, the Internet
>> is considerably older and more inclusive than (Sir TBL's) "World
>> Wide Web"!  Usenet news groups, for instance, have never been part
>> of the WWW, but they're certainly part of the Net.

> The question is (because speaking about protocol::http): is http used
> outside the internet. I don't know.
> One could argue it definetely is (because its used in intranets without
> a connection to the internet)...

Of course - I have installed http servers (for doc-browsing) even on
machines that had no networking interfaces.  Which shows that the
label "internet" fails by excluding things it should include as well
as by including things it should exclude.

>> If a non-technical term is needed, what's wrong with "web"?

> Sounds OK too, though I think the term internet is somewhat more
> expressive.

Agreed; unfortunately it's expressive of the wrong thing.
--
JBR
Ankh kak! (Ancient Egyptian blessing)