[Debtags-devel] New (experimental) Debtags package search page

Enrico Zini enrico at enricozini.org
Tue Nov 15 16:55:45 UTC 2005

Hello,

I'm so proud of this that I need to announce it to Debian Devel
Announce.

I implemented a new kind of package search, here:

  http://debtags.alioth.debian.org/cgi-bin/search.cgi

It's an experimental new way of searching Debian packages: you start
with a normal text search, and then you work with categories.

Working with categories is as easy as expressing three very simple
opinions: "I want this", "I don't want this", "I don't care about this".

You don't even need to know about the categories to use this, and in
a few simple clicks, you should to the packages you need.

                               (description taken from the FAQ[1])

It is experimental and it is a prototype, so it is slow.
But it is cool!

The idea came from a chat with OpenUsability's Jan Mühlig at LinuxTag,
and has been further enhanced with discussions in the Debtags mailing
list[2].

Both the search page and the editing and browsing pages connected to it
definitely need some Ajaxing.  If you decide to do it, send a mail to
debtags-devel at lists.alioth.debian.org; improvements of the CSS are also
very welcome.

[1] http://debtags.alioth.debian.org/packagebrowser/faq-search.html