[Debtags-devel] Protocols descriptions, ATM - HTTP, tag question

Enrico Zini enrico at enricozini.org
Wed Nov 16 11:39:36 UTC 2005

On Tue, Nov 15, 2005 at 07:27:22PM +0100, Torsten Marek wrote:

> I am thankful for all comments and corrections!

Hi!  Great work!  I'd just split the identification and the teaching
part a bit more:

> [...]

 Link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ethernet

> Tag: protocol::fidonet
>  FidoNet is a mailbox system that enjoyed large popularity in the 1980s and
>  1990s. The communication between the clients and FidoNet servers  was usually
>  carried out over the telephone network using modems and could be used for
>  transferring messages (comparable to e-mail) and files.
>  .
>  Link: http://www.fidonet.org/
>  Link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fidonet

Tag: protocol::fidonet
 FidoNet is a mailbox system that enjoyed large popularity in the 1980s and
 1990s.
 .
 The communication between the clients and FidoNet servers was usually
 carried out over the telephone network using modems and could be used
 for transferring messages (comparable to e-mail) and files.

[ah... the good old times of FidoNet :)]

> Tag: protocol::finger
>  The Name/Finger protocol is a simple network protocol to provide extensive,
>  public information about users of a computer, such as e-mail address,
>  telephone numbers, full names etc. Due to privacy concerns, the Finger
>  protocols is not widely used any more, while it widespread distribution
>  in the early 1990s.
>  .
>  Link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Finger_protocol
>  Link: http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc1288.txt

Tag: protocol::finger
 The Name/Finger protocol is a simple network protocol to provide extensive,
 public information about users of a computer, such as e-mail address,
 telephone numbers, full names etc.
 .
 Due to privacy concerns, the Finger protocols is not widely used any
 more, while it had widespread distribution in the early 1990s.
 .
 Link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Finger_protocol
 Link: http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc1288.txt

> Tag: protocol::ftp
>  File Transfer Protocol, a protocol for exchanging files over networks and
>  extensively used in the Internet. The communication between FTP servers and
>  clients uses two channels, the control and the data channel. While FTP was
>  originally used with authentication only, most FTP servers on the internet
>  provide anonymous, passwordless access. Since FTP does not support encryption,
>  sensitive data transfer is carried out over SFTP today.
>  .
>  Link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File_Transfer_Protocol
>  Link: http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc0959.txt

Tag: protocol::ftp
 File Transfer Protocol, a protocol for exchanging files over networks and
 extensively used in the Internet.
 .
 The communication between FTP servers and clients uses two channels,
 the control and the data channel. While FTP was originally used with
 authentication only, most FTP servers on the internet provide
 anonymous, passwordless access. Since FTP does not support encryption,
 sensitive data transfer is carried out over SFTP today.
 .
 Link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File_Transfer_Protocol
 Link: http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc0959.txt

> Tag: protocol::http
>  HyperText Transfer Protocol, one of the most important protocols for the
>  World Wide Web. It controls the data transfer between HTTP servers such as
>  Apache and HTTP clients, which are web browsers in most cases. HTTP
>  resources are requested via URLs (Universal Resource Locators). While HTTP
>  normally only supports file transfer from server to client, the protocol
>  supports sending information to HTTP server, most prominently used in HTML
>  forms.
>  .
>  Link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Http
>  Link: http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc2616.txt

Tag: protocol::http
 HyperText Transfer Protocol, one of the most important protocols for the
 World Wide Web.
 .
 It controls the data transfer between HTTP servers such as Apache and
 HTTP clients, which are web browsers in most cases. HTTP resources are
 requested via URLs (Universal Resource Locators). While HTTP normally
 only supports file transfer from server to client, the protocol
 supports sending information to HTTP server, most prominently used in
 HTML forms.
 .
 Link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Http
 Link: http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc2616.txt

Or, we can even totally delegate teaching to wikipedia leaving only the
initial description and the links: this would avoid us needing to
maintain the replicated information.

> * protocol::lp
> Tag misnamed, should be lpr, maybe unix-lpr (see
> http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc1179.txt).

I'm fine with renaming it.

> * protocol::aol-messenger, protocol::icq:
> "Real" ICQ is dispreferred, ICQ uses OSCAR nowadays
> Thus, it would be better to merge protocol::aol-messenger and protocol::icq into
> new protocol::oscar with the description "OSCAR (AIM/ICQ)".

I'd rename this only if all ICQ clients we have are also AIM clients,
and vice-versa.

> * Why isn't it protocol::pop3, but protocol::pop?

I guess because grep pop /etc/services gives pop2, pop3, pop3s and kpop,
so we went for something that could include them all.  I don't know if
it makes sense nowadays, though, and pop3 could really be the one that
includes them all anyway.

GPG key: 1024D/797EBFAB 2000-12-05 Enrico Zini <enrico at debian.org>