[Debtags-devel] Mailing list archiver

Justin B Rye jbr at edlug.org.uk
Fri Oct 21 11:20:50 UTC 2005

Sanghyeon Seo wrote:
> Does it make sense to add "mailing list archiver" tag to mail:: facet?
>
> There's mail::list already, but I think it should be restricted to
> mailling list managers, not archivers, since they are pretty much
> separate.
>
> mail::list will tag (as it does already) ecartis, mailman, smartlist.
> mail::archive(?) will tag hypermail, lists-archives, lurker, mhonarc.

I gather from the long description that it's not meant to include
archivemail, which seems more obviously entitled to mail::archive.

Mhonarc etc turn messages into searchable HTML archives; archivemail
and others like it (mail-expire, archmbox) store old mail in a
compressed form.  They're quite distinct types of packages... but
then again, if we did put them all in one mail::archiving tag we'd
have plenty of appropriate tags to indicate which of them are
works-with::text:html and which are use::compressing.

And don't forget that debbugs and other web-BTS packages also
convert e-mail into searchable archives.  Where should they fit in?
--
JBR
Ankh kak! (Ancient Egyptian blessing)