[Debtags-devel] Updating tags on svn

Thaddeus H. Black t at b-tk.org
Fri Sep 2 18:23:04 UTC 2005

Thank you for permitting me some uninterrupted real-life time during the
past week.  Role::sw draft # 8 (!) follows.  It does not replace "as"
with "e.g.", "like" or "such as" because, well, two-letter words are
good and I like "as".  (If anyone feels strongly about it, however, we
can discuss it further.)

Unsure exactly what to do with the "xdebconfigurator" and "make gconfig"
suggestions, I have done nothing specific with them, but the draft does
mean to incorporate the various other suggestions.  If I have forgotten
your suggestion, this is inadvertent; just let me know.

The role::sw discussion has taken some time, but I think that the time
has been well spent.  We are settling a significant, difficult matter
here in a way which sets a precedent for future vocabulary building, so
it seems to me that it is worth the time to make it right.

Enrico permits it, so I shall svn commit once we have reached stable
consensus.

Tag: role::sw:utility
 Utilities and tools normally run non-interactively, which (for example)
 .
  * report the state of the system in some respect (as find);
  * automate a well defined task (as cp or dpkg-reconfigure);
  * filter a stream of text or data (as sed);
  * display data in a simple, non-interactive way (as xloadimage); or
  * fetch and/or put data by a specific protocol (as rsync),
    implement a basic client to such a protocol (as ssh), or
    talk to a daemon.
 .
 Also, basic tools which provide generic front ends with bare
 interfaces (as bash, xterm or login); bare, basic, scriptable,
 command-line-oriented administration and configuration tools (as dpkg
 or apt-get); minimalistic dockapps (as wmclock) and other simple X
 tools (as 9menu); primitive line-oriented tools (as more or ed)
 controllable by stdin; and other small tools in the utility spirit.
 .
 Packages will not usually get multiple tags out of the set
 role::sw:{utility,daemon,application,amusement}.

Tag: role::sw:daemon
 Daemons and daemon-like programs, including tools run regularly (by
 cron) without user intervention.  Also, programs typically invoked
 automatically in response to network events.
 .
 Packages will not usually get multiple tags out of the set
 role::sw:{utility,daemon,application,amusement}.

Tag: role::sw:application
 Glossy, powerful, user-friendly software.  Programs too complex,
 unfocused or featureful (as perl or the autotools) to be called
 utilities.  Programs whose normal interface is interactive or
 nonminimalistic (as less, mc, aptitude, mozilla or top).  Configuration
 scripts (as the kernel's or base-config) whose only normal mode is a
 series of questions and answers.  Tools which transform data in
 intricate, adaptive or highly nonobvious ways (as latex or gcc).
 Programs which are used standalone, and not in some processing chain.
 .
 Packages will not usually get multiple tags out of the set
 role::sw:{utility,daemon,application,amusement}.

Tag: role::sw:amusement
 Note: Packages will not usually get multiple tags out of the set
 role::sw:{utility,daemon,application,amusement}.