[Debtags-devel] Python bindings

Enrico Zini enrico at enricozini.org
Mon Sep 12 22:07:47 UTC 2005

On Mon, Sep 12, 2005 at 08:57:06PM +0200, Torsten Marek wrote:

> Since debtags is merged into libapt-front now, I guess that there should be
> Python bindings for libapt-front rather than libdebtags. As far as I saw in the
> svn, there's been some work with SWIG for libdebtags, so I'll use SWIG to create
> these bindings. If there's nothing in particular, I'd start on the
> Python->libapt-front bindings this week.
>
> What is the status of libdebtags1-{dev,pic} right now? Should they be used at
> all? Or is all other work happening in libapt-front? I still have some catching
> up to do...

libdebtags1-{dev,pic} are fully merged in libapt-front and they should
just disappear as the new tagcoll and apt-front are uploaded to
unstable.

As for the bindings, you can try SWIG but I had problems with it: it
doesn't automatically iterate sets, and it can get hairy since
libapt-front makes a strong use of templates.

Someone (Mornfall?) suggested having a look at boost::python.

I was also thinking that a simplified wrapper to the library might make
an easier start for language bindings,  as well as for simple-case
users.

I'd say: have a look at the library, then try to think what a useful,
non-bloated python API could be, then we work from there.

GPG key: 1024D/797EBFAB 2000-12-05 Enrico Zini <enrico at enricozini.org>