Tag reorganization proposal: works-with::*, filetransfer::*, protocol::*

Tyln Sylverwind tsylverwind at gmail.com
Wed Aug 2 20:39:55 UTC 2006

On Thu, 29 Jun 2006 14:48:44 +0200, Erich Schubert wrote:

> Unicode is not a format. Especially not when you actually mean utf-8.
> you can have "text/plain; encoding=utf-8", or the same with HTML.

Of course, this is a very limited subset of implementing utf-8.  utf-8
refers to all aspects of data manipulation, be it loading, rendering,
transferring, or otherwise handling.  In the most legitimate sense, I
would say that an application "conforms to" or "supports" utf-8.

> But it's also a question on how to read the tag. Should any
> application that is unicode-enabled be tagged with it? Or only
> applications that can convert between character sets? but many/most
> text editors will be able to do so, should they all be tagged this
> way?

In all practicality, I would probably be looking for a subset of
applications that support utf-8, or an application for a particular use
that supports utf-8.  eg: "works-with-format:html and supports:utf-8" or
"use:viewing and supports:utf-8".  I would not think to look for
any variation of "works-with-format:html-utf-8".  As a secondary note, I
would hope that searching for packages tagged with "utf-8" would return
all packages that conform to / support utf-8, not only special packages
for dealing with particular utf-8 files.

Regards,

Tyln Sylverwind